Marketing your business
Marketing is an important ongoing part of promoting your business. It can be a key element to the success of your business, helping you get to target your client base and expand to meet ongoing and changing needs.
Here are some tips to begin marketing your business.
Develop a marketing plan
Developing a marketing plan is an important first step to marketing your business. This will help you to identify short and long term goals for your business, the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of your products or services, unique selling positions for your products or services and more.
How to start developing a marketing plan for your business:
- Undertake market research.
- Look at online resources such as business.gov.au’s How to write your marketing plan page .
Undertake market research
To help you answer many of the questions in your marketing plan, it is a good idea to undertake marketing research. This will help you to identify who your customers are and their demographical information, who your key competitors are and more.
How to start undertaking marketing research for your business:
- Primary research: you may like to undertake your own research, known as primary research. You can collect this research by using surveys, interviews, and talking to customers and businesses.
- Secondary research: you can also gather market research by using data collected by other organisations. Useful websites for this include the Australian Bureau of Statistics and the Australian Taxation Office’s Small Business Benchmarks .
Develop marketing strategies
Once you have developed your marketing plan, you will need to identify some marketing strategies. This will identify some specific actions your business can take to reach your target audience. These could include how your products or services are promoted, your pricing policy, how your product is positioned within the market and more.
How to start developing marketing strategies for your business:
- Look at online resources such as business.gov.au’s Marketing page .