Creating an online presence for your business can open up a wide range of opportunities. You may just use it as a marketing tool, or you may use it to engage in e-commerce, where you sell your products or services online.
While entering the digital world may seem like a daunting task, it could be easier then you think - and there are plenty of resources available to help you!
The following tips and resources are designed to help you get underway:
To make the most of your business’ online activities you should look at developing a plan, such as an Online Business Plan or a Digital Strategy. This should include what you are hoping to achieve through your digital activities, and how you plan to achieve them.
Resources to help you create an Online Business Plan:
One of the simplest ways to get your business online is by developing a website.
There are a number of things to consider for you website such as what is your budget, what is the purpose of the website, how will it look and what information you will put on the website.
One of the key advantages of online business activity, particularly websites, is the capacity to track and measure its performance, such as how many people are visiting, how long they are staying and what they are clicking on. Some website hosting companies provide analytics tools, however there are alternatives such as Google Analytics .
Resources to help you create and manage a website:
- Digital Business website – Creating your website
- Digital Business website – Keeping your website fresh
Social media is just one more way your business can create an online presence. This is often quite an effective, low-cost option that and can be a way to create a connection with your customers.
There are a number of different social media platforms, the most popular ones include:
- Video sharing sites such as YouTube or Vimeo
- Image sharing sites such as Flickr , Instagram and Pinterest
Resources to help you get started with social media:
- Digital Business Website – Marketing with social media
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website – Social media
If you want to take your business’ website to the next level, you can use it as a tool to engage in e-commerce.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics Household use of Information Technology report states that approximately 61 percent of Australian internet users, or 9.7 million people, had purchased a good or service online in the past three months. E-commerce can allow your business to grow its customer base by tapping into this market, and by giving you access to national and even international audiences. It can also provide a more convenient experience for your customers, with the ability for them to purchase your products or services at a time suitable for them.
You can use the resources below to learn:
- the legal essentials for doing business online;
- how to make your online activity safe and secure;
- how to market your online goods or services;
- how to import and export goods online;
- how to set up online shopping carts;
- how to take payments online; and
- how to manage the logistics such as delivery and shipping.
Resources to help use e-commerce in your business: